Bruce Schwab, Woolwich, ME
by Bikeman • January 01, 2020
2023 RACING AGE: 63
RESIDENCE: Woolwich, ME
RACING DISCIPLINE(S) AND CATEGORY(S): Cat 3 Cyclocross & Road, Cat 2 (sport) MTB. Formerly a Cat 2 roadie, back in the early-mid 90's...
# OF YEARS RACING: Can't remember anymore. 30-something years.
# OF BIKES OWNED: Hmm...have to add them up:
1) CX race bike: Scott Addict CX, rim brakes but really light
2) CX pit & gravel: Cannondale CAADX CX, disc but heavier.
3) Road bike: Scott Foil; older model with rim brakes
4) Fatbike: Modified Surly Wednesday; now a 1x with a lightweight carbon fork from Bikeman
5) MTB: Highly modified 2010 Trek Fuel EX 9.9...very light, but it's a 26'er. Go ahead and laugh, but I fit in a 3" front tire and 2.8 rear and it's not bad
6) Tandem: Just built up; Custom Cannondale MT1000, with 27.5 rear and 700c gravel setup on front. <36lbs, with custom rear disk brake setup
7 & 8) West coast bikes: Kona Jake the Snake CX, and Giant Fathom 29'er hardtail. Both are cheap versions, but they work.
Some other projects, but those are the real bikes. So, 8x
FAVORITE BIKE: Hard to say. Usually whichever one I'm riding at the time.
FAVORITE TRAIL OR RIDE: Too many to remember...but Mt. Diablo in NorCal is a good one.
NON-CYCLING INTERESTS/HOBBIES: Sailing (first American to officially finish the Vendee Globe: non-stop solo around the world sailing race); Guitar playing (some old tunes up on YouTube), and yacht restoration (see www.projectimprobable.com, and Project Improbable Videos).
PERSONAL NOTES & QUOTES: Always biting off more than I can chew. Best advice to offer, don't make relationship decisions after 110 days at sea.